Since 1995, the White House has been required to deliver a report to Congress listing the title and salary of every White House Office employee. At 4:39 p.m. on Friday, it did exactly that.
According to the report, the White House payroll has expanded from last year, reaching the $37.8 million mark, though the Obama campaign is refusing to comment on the reasons behind the increased spending. The 37.8 million taxpayer dollars shelled out to Obama’s staffers does mark a modest decline from the record $39.1 million he paid them in 2009, back at a time when the national debt was only $10.6 trillion and the unemployment rate was only 7.6%. But as one-time-Democrat Larry Kudlow pointed out, “That’s a lot of taxpayer money being paid to a lot of liberals.”
Indeed, according to the document, 139 staffers (or one in three) earn more than 6 figures, or a little less than three times the average American’s salary. Our conservative ally blog “Sea to Shining Sea” puts it succinctly:
In comparison, the White House staff salaries for President Bush’s last year in office, 2008, came to$33,193,021.00. That’s a difference of $5,603,286.00, or an increase of 16.9% from the Bush administration to the current Obama administration. That’s a lot of “change.”
Some highlights from the staff salary report:
- Three calligraphers (that is, people with good handwriting) employed by the President earn salaries of $96000, $94000, and $86000.
- The top 20 employees combined make $3,440,000 – about $172,200 each.
- 293 bureaucrats are paid more than National Security Director Kinsey Casey.
- The average staffer makes $81,110 – the about double the income of the average taxpayer.
- 75% of staffers got a raise in the last two years. My guess is you probably didn’t.
- Despite accusations of a Republican “War on Women,” President Obama pays female staffers 18% less than their male counterparts.
The full report can be read here. When you’re done scrolling through the 468 names, vent your frustration or give us your reaction in the comments below…
Powered by Facebook Comments